Your comments on permitting a commercial shuttle and ski/snowshoe guide service on the Flathead NF's Round Meadow Winter Trails are due Dec 22!
The Flathead has failed to make adequate public announcement about this proposed commercial permit.
But the Flathead is accepting public comment through December 22 and here is what we've learned from Tally Lake District Ranger Bill Mulholland:
1. Whitefish Shuttle Livery and Guiding requested this permit on October 1, but the Flathead is just now getting around to asking some members of the public what they think of the idea.
2. The permit would run from December 23, 2019 through April 1, 2020, and would allow a maximum of 200 clients to be dropped off at and/or be guided on the groomed trail system.
3. Only one shuttle or guided trip would be allowed each day. "This could equate to approximately 3-4 visitors a day at Round Meadows."
4. "Currently parking at the trailhead is limited during peak use times."
5. Ranger Mulholland did not indicate whether clients can drive themselves to the trailhead and be guided from there or whether they must use the shuttle service.
6. Ranger Mulholland declined to notify the press of this proposal.
You may also want to let the Flathead know you want everyone to have more than a few days notice to comment on proposals that may affect their National Forest!
Click here to read Swan View Coalition's comments.
Click here for Ranger Mulholland's skimpy public notice packet.