Swan View Testifies at Grizzly Bear Habitat Workshop - You Can Help!
Swan View Coalition testified on behalf of 15 other groups and organizations at a July 7 Grizzly Bear Habitat Workshop in Missoula, MT.
All you need to say is that you want grizzly bear recovery based on the promised security of grizzly bear habitat and key bear foods - and that you want FWS to abandon its current plan to instead reduce grizzly bear security in the face of growing human populations and impacts.
Remember, while the grizzly bear population in the entire Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem was estimated to be 765 bears in 2004 and has hopefully increased by a couple hundred bears since then, the human population of Flathead County alone grew by 1,800 people in 2014 and is estimated to reach 100,000 by 2018!
Click here to read Swan View's testimony or to help fine-tune your email to FWS.
Click here to watch NBC's coverage of the workshop.
Click here to read the Missoulian newspaper article about the workshop.
Click here to watch KPAX coverage of the workshop.
Click here (then scroll down) to view a list of links to the 26 documents attached to Swan View Coalition's testimony.
Below are links to the documents attached to Swan View Coalition's July 7 oral statement:
1. Swan View Coalition’s 7/30/13 comments on the Draft Conservation Strategy
2. NRDC’s 7/30/13 comments on the Draft Conservation Strategy
3. Swan View Coalition’s 7/31/13 letter incorporating NRDC’s comments on the DCS.
4. Email thread between Keith Hammer and Joe Krueger re: firewood cutting in Core.
5. “Roads to Ruin” report by Keith Hammer, May 2016.
6. Facebook post by Tim Manley, 6/25/16, regarding foot and bike races.
7. Daily Inter Lake, 6/30/16, regarding mountain biker killed by bear near West Glacier.
8. Daily Inter Lake, 7/1/16, regarding mountain biker killed by bear near West Glacier.
9. Daily Inter Lake, 7/2/16, regarding mountain biker killed by bear near West Glacier.
10. Flathead Beacon, 7/2/16, regarding mountain biker killed by bear near West Glacier.
11. Kate Kendall, 7/18/94 memorandum to IGBC regarding non-motorized trail impacts.
12. Peer Review of NCDE Motorized Access Management by McLellan, Sanjayan and Silvy.
13. McLellan’s Journal of Wildlife Management research article 79(5):749-765; 2015.
14. Trail Creek Fire Salvage Project File Document U-2: Road Risk/Benefit Analysis.
15. Swan View Coalition et al. 6/8/16 letter to Wayne Kasworm.
16. Wayne Kasworm’s 6/9/16 letter in response to Swan View Coaltion et al.
17. Swan View Coalition’s 6/17/97 comments on Yellowstone HBRC.
18. Swan View Coalition’s 8/28/99 comments on Yellowstone HBRC.
19. Dr. Lee Metzgar’s 6/11/97 comments on Yellowstone HBRC.
20. Dr. Craig Pease’s 6/17/97 comments on Yellowstone HBRC.
21. David Mattson’s 6/17/97 comments on Yellowstone HBRC.
22. Great Bear Foundation - Charles Jonkel’s 6/17/19 comments on Yellowstone HBRC.
23. Dr. Barrie Gilbert’s comments on Yellowstone HBRC.
24. Joint 6/16/97 statement by Dr. Barrie Gilbert, Dr. Lance Craighead, Dr. Craig Pease, and Troy Merrill on Yellowstone HBRC.
25. David Mattson’s USGS 11/8/97 comments on “Further information on specific issues relating to the grizzly bear recovery plan.”
26. “Analyzing Wildlife Movement Corridors in Montana using GIS” by Richard Walker and Lance Craighead. Report Number 11. May 6, 1997.
This article published on July 06, 2016 • [Permalink]