UPDATE 3/9/21: Forest Service pauses to read the over 250 comments it received on this proposal! Click here for the Daily Inter Lake article. THANK YOU to all of you that wrote in opposition to this ill-conceived idea!
Please take five minutes to tell the Forest Service not to build four rental cabins adjacent to the Bob Marshall Wilderness in the remote Bunker Creek area!
Spotted Bear Ranger District wants to displace traditional semi-primitive tent camping at Bunker Park with 4 rental cabins, 1 trailer pad, a livestock corral, and a childrens playground! This will turn the area into a nearly year-round snowmobile and mountain bike outpost smack in the middle of some of the best wildlife habitat on the Flathead National Forest!
1. The remote Bunker Creek area is adjacent to the Bob Marshall Wilderness and is no place to promote recreation through rental cabins!
2. The development would be right in the middle of "some of the most dense grizzly bear and carnivore habitat on the Flathead Forest," not to mention prime habitat for elk, mountain goats and bull trout!
3. The develpment would promote snowmobiling in an area currently seldom reached by people in winter and inevitably result in motorized trespass of unpatrolled closed areas!
4. The development would become a destination for mountain biking from Napa Point and other access along the Swan Crest!
5. The development would displace tent campers and folks without $85 to rent a cabin!
6. No "Categorical Exclusion" shortcuts! Either drop this idea or give it the full and public environmental analysis required by law!
Click here for Swan View Coalition's comments and those of a grizzly bear expert.
Click here to see the proposal on the Forest Service web site.
THANK YOU for taking a few minutes to keep the backcountry a secure place for fish and wildlife!
Logging road landslide into Sullivan Creek bull trout habitat!
Keith Hammer photo.